When male breast tissue gets swelled up it is called Adult Gynecomastia. Between the ages of 50 to 80, it reaches the peak where at least 1 out of 4 men, belonging to this age group get affected by this condition.
What Is The Cause?
The condition is caused when there is an imbalance of estrogen and testosterone hormones in the body which gets upset due to many things. Usually, unrecognized or untreated adolescent gynecomastia is the direct cause. Such condition happens if a young man is overweight and man boobs is not obvious until weight is lost, which occurs during adulthood. Some of the primary reasons of enlarged male breast and the prevalence are given below:
- Drug induced: 10 – 25 %
- Adolescent gynecomastia persistent: 25%
- Primary Hypogonadism: 8%
- Tumors of the testes: 3 %
- No detectable cause: 25 %
- Hypothyroidism: 1.5 %
- Secondary Hypogonadism: 2 %
- Malnutrition and liver disease: 8 %
Twenty-five percent cases of overly developed male breast are unresolved from the period of adolescence. Other reasons are drug-induced, hormone though most of the factors are unknown.
Assessment Of Adulthood Man Boobs:
A cosmetic surgeon will try to determine the direct underlying cause of Male breasts before undertaking the surgical procedure. Testing of the hormones is appropriate if the syndrome is not obvious from physical exam and medical history.
Medical History May Consist Of The Following:
- Duration of the condition and age of onset
- Any pain or changes in the size of nipples and any discharge from those
- History of consuming drug and alcohol, mumps and trauma
- Family history of enlarged male breast
- History of infertility or hypogonadism (certain kind of hormonal imbalance)
Physical Examination May Consist Of The Following:
- Thorough examining of the breast consistency and size thoroughly
- Spotting the difference between enlarged male breast due to glandular tissue and man boobs caused by accumulation of fat tissues
- Assessing glandular tissue
- Observation of any axillary lymphadenopathy (enlargement of lymph nodes in the arms and breasts area) or for any nipple discharge
- Any signs of feminization
Diagnosing Male Breasts In Adulthood:
The doctor makes the patient to lie flat on back along with hands clasped under his head, in order to diagnose adult male boobs properly. Using the separated forefingers and thumb, the surgeon will examine the breasts by slowly bringing together of the fingers from either sides of breasts.
If firm or rubbery mound of tissues are there surrounding the areola and nipple of the patient, it is considered to be true Gynecomastia. On the other hand, Pseudo-gynecomastia patients have simply accumulated fat tissues around their chest without any such disk of tissues. If all the test results are normal, such condition is usually referred to as idiopathic or non-detectable cause.
Treatment And Causes Of Male Breasts Formed Due To Fat Accumulation:
Unlike that of enlarged man breasts due to glandular tissue, this particular syndrome is formed because of the development of fat deposits, known as Pseudo-Gynecomastia. Weight gain or aging are the reasons of this condition. On average, patient claims the absence of male breasts during teenage days but later in life as one gains weight, it developed gradually. Liposuction can provide a pleasing result for the patients having man boobs due to fat deposits.
Testosterone blood levels gradually decrease and it leads to an imbalance between estrogen and testosterone levels, as men age. In older adult men, it accounts for overly developed man breasts due to hormone induction.
Low Levels of Testosterone (Low T)
Testosterone, a powerful man hormone, is responsible for different kinds of hormonal changes, muscle mass, bone density and it is produced in male organ. Low level of testosterone is frequently termed as “Low T”. Andropause syndrome is triggered by this reduced level of testosterone where female menopause is known to be having quite similar condition. The low production of testosterone declines naturally leading to variety of signs. This symptoms and signs often go undetected and largely taken to be natural part of aging.
Symptoms And Signs Of Low Testosterone Levels (Low T):
Overly developed male breasts can occur when the balance between estrogen and testosterone favors higher levels of estrogen. Along with the development of male breast, it can also cause:
- Certain hormonal changes due to the aging procedure of men
- Reduction of body and facial hair
- Increased rate of fatigue and lack of over-all energy
- Loss of strength and muscle-mass
- Higher level of total body fat and its cause is not cleared
- Osteoporosis( reduced amount of bone mass)
- Mood swings: testosterone is considered to be the “fuel” for men. The hormone controls multiple systems of human body as well as mood and mental health. Men having lower of testosterone are more likely to experience irritability, depression and short span of attention
Male Breasts Enlargement Caused By Below-Mentioned Medical Conditions:
- Liver disease and malnutrition
- Increased level of estrogen and low production of testosterone hormone can lead one to develop overly enlarged breasts
- Genetic disorders like male trauma
- Mental trauma
- Reduced blood flow
- Chronic renal syndrome
Drug Consumption Which Is Associated With Overly Developed Man Boobs:
- Calcium channel blockers come to use while controlling high level of blood pressure
- Drugs which has anti-androgen capacities
- High blood pressure medicines and several antibiotics such as anti-ulcer drugs, medications to treat cancer or hypertension
- Drugs used to treat HIV, can also lead to accumulation of fat around the breast tissues
- Heroin, alcohol and marijuana
- Skin care products which contain lavender oils and tea tree